Thursday, August 12, 2010

Being Social

It’s finally happened!!!  After spending the last year trying to convince my boss that we should join Twitter we have finally entered the world of tweeting!! 


Social media has become such a large part of the marketing world offering a variety of avenues to make announcements.  A fitness website I often visit has about 20 different options under the “share this article” link.  I mean I obviously know the basics: Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Linkedin.  But what exactly are 2linkeme and Adifni?  I think at this point everyone is trying to be the next big thing in the social media world. 

At one point, Myspace was the #1 social networking site.  However, very quickly Facebook swooped in and after only 5 years went from having 1 million active users to 200 billion!!!!  Unbelievable. 



While I was working on my MBA I took an “IT for Management” class and we talked a lot about social networking.  The group I was working with decided to pick Facebook for our social network presentation.  During our research we learned that 8 million users become fans of pages daily.  If you have a product you want getting attention - Facebook is the way to do it.  A friend of mine just started her own business, on the side, selling handmade purses, wallets and aprons.  She created a fan page on August 2nd and today (August 12th) she already has 80 people that “Like” her page.  Talk about free marketing!


Linkedin is another great site.  I’ve been using it a lot personally to find out information about companies I’m looking at as potential employers.  According to an article from Sales & Marketing Business Brief 98% of companies use Twitter as the main focus of their social media initiatives, 96% of companies use Facebook as a secondary source, and 74% also use LinkedIn as part of their strategy.


I really believe that companies who haven’t jumped on the social media bandwagon yet are falling behind.  Granted this phase might not last forever but this is what is hot NOW.  And hey guess what - it is FREE!!!!  Yes, it costs the company money to have someone maintain their sites but it is still a fabulous way to get products, companies, anything noticed.


Has your company entered the social networking world yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment